Visiting any foreign country should be enough of a reason to do your research prior to travel. It really is common sense, right? I’ll be honest, I didn’t research as well as I should have, and prior to our fright from LAX I knew nothing about how Peru worked. I focused more on itinerary and hotels rather than how the country actually works and that just won’t set you up for success in a new environment. This is why i’m passing these 5 on to you! We learned the hard way so you don’t have to. These simple tips will leave you with a little less stressed when it comes to starting your vacation in Peru!
- Brush up on your spanish with the basics. Download google translate for a quick reference in tricky language situations. We did not realize there would be such a language barrier. Especially the less touristy areas like Ica, Peru; You will definitely want to know a few common words and phrases besides Hola, Adios and Cerveza.
- Prepare to throw all toilet paper in a waste basket next to the toilet. We found this to be standard anywhere we went in Peru. Don’t be a lame tourist. Respect their plumbing.
- Peruvian cab drivers are crazy when it comes to maneuvering through the streets. They honk, don’t know what the speed limits are and get extremely close to other cars. They do know their stuff though! Sit back, relax and enjoy the chaos! You will arrive safely to your destination, I promise.
- Altitude changes are no joke. Take your time walking around. We felt extremely short of breath most of the time and it really was exhausting. Drink Coca tea, stay hyrdrated and feed yourself! I felt worse when I did not eat, energize your body for the testing altitudes and you will be fine.
- I found the country to be completely safe. Take proper safety precautions like always, but know you can let your guard down and trust in the people of Peru like we did.