Remember in my first credit card review when I said “Points are totally in right now.“? Well they are especially with my boyfriend and I. After that travel card didn’t go as expected, I decided to really do my research this time and find the best mile-earning credit card of my dreams! Truth be told, I found it & thanks to the Chase Sapphire Reserve, I’m flying to Peru on points alone baby!
Lets back up to 12:00 AM on New Year’s Eve: That whole, “new year new me” thing happened. I decided I was not going to wait to tackle my personal goals, especially those related to traveling. In 2017 I want to accomplish a few things related to travel:
Fly somewhere international all on points, fly somewhere international in business class and make it to Africa. I thought to myself when the clock struck 12, “Why am I waiting?”.
Since money doesn’t grow on trees I had to figure out how to make my goals happen this year. Step 1, rack up the points: *Drum roll please*
Although the current reward has changed, I applied at the time that Chase was offering 100,000 bonus miles after you spend $4,000. Just like my first card I thought, “Easy” Put a few months of rent on there and wa-bamb: 100k. Besides the hefty miles bonus, check out everything else that is included with this card. (You won’t believe the perks!)
What I lOVE about this card:
- I received $300.00 back after I spent that amount in travel (Taxis, Lyfts, flights, etc.)
- Lounge Access with companion (Need I say more?)
- 3x points for every dollar you spend in restaurants, travel, taxis, trains, car rentals and cruises.
- No Foreign Transaction fees.
- Lost Luggage Reimbursement
What I HATE about this card:
- The $450 annual fee 🙁 This is the only bummer, but to me it was worth it when you see everything that is provided with having this card. I mean, why not have lunch and 3 mimosa’s on the house while you’re waiting for your flight? Or getting your Global Entry or TSA Pre Check covered? (Reimbursement up to $100). Chase covered up to $300 on travel as well, so did we break even on the annual fee?
How I used my points:
Dreams do come true people! My first goal of 2017 is already crossed off my list! After my bonus and additional points, I had around 100,000 points to play with! So easy, you can do it too! Want to know the best part? It didn’t even break the points bank as I still sit comfortable with 71k points after my transaction for Peru. What ordinarily would have been an almost $600 round trip excursion, is now a “free” international flight. One great thing when it comes to redeeming points through Chase is that you have the option to use as many points as you want, and put the rest on your chase card. I had thought about putting half on, half on points but this time around, I decided to celebrate my points and go all out!
Do I recommend?
Absolutely! The amount of perks you get just for being a card holder makes the annual fee worth it to me. I remember the first time walking into the lounge in PHX: I remember feeling shaky as I handed my card to the attendant. Like I was handing a fake ID to buy booze, that feeling. I was in a lounge, for the first time, enjoying free drinks and yummy snacks- All for having a fabulous credit card. If you’re looking for a card to get you to Peru round-trip (Or anywhere else in the world) grab the Chase Sapphire Reserve. You won’t be sorry.